Quantum Communication: Security for a Networked World
Quantum communication is a key technology for ensuring the security of digital infrastructures in our society. By exploiting quantum effects, it promises tap-proof data transmission within communication and information networks.
One of today’s most widely researched applications is that of quantum-based key distribution (QKD). In addition to post-quantum cryptography (PQC), this technology can significantly enhance both IT security and Germany’s technological sovereignty in a hyperconnected world.
Into the Future with SQuaD
Quantum Communication – from Science to Business
Following intensive research in the field of quantum communication, the technological leap from science to industry is now imminent. It is being supported by SQuaD, the Umbrella Project for Quantum Communication in Germany (Schirmprojekt Quantenkommunikation Deutschland, SQuaD) within the Innovation Hub for Quantum Communication. SQuaD will play a key role in ensuring the basic research and industry are optimally networked and connected in the coming years.
In close exchange within the SQuaD network key players from research and industry, such as the QuNET, QR.X, and DIVQSec initiatives, will learn and benefit from each other. In addition to enhanced cooperation, activities on standardization and certification are planned within the involvement of central players such as the Deutsche Institut für Normung (DIN) in order to validate commercial exploitation strategies.
The Goals of SQuaD:
- Enabling the technology leap from science to industry
- Creating a sustainable network between basic research and industry in the coming years and establishing an ongoing professional dialog between the sectors
- Transferring current quantum communication technologies sustainably into industrial applications
- Establishing a comprehensive research network as an innovation hub for quantum communication in Germany
- Laying the foundation for innovative, internationally competitive products in this key area of technology
- Actively supporting activities for the certification and standardization of quantum technologies
- Making a significant contribution to Germany’s continued leadership among the world’s top technology providers
Contribution of SQuaD
Commercialization of Quantum Communication
Bolstering Germany’s and Europe’s strong Role in the Commercialization of Quantum Communication
SQuaD is the central element of a broad-based research network being established within the Innovation Hub for Quantum Communication in Germany to place Germany and Europe at the forefront of the quantum communication market. The project will lay the foundation for innovative and internationally competitive products in this key technology area and as such make an important contribution to ensure that Germany remains a world technology leader.
Tasks of SQuaD
SQuaD establishes structures and carries out specific tasks to implement technology transfer from science to industry. These structures and tasks include in particular the following:
Responsibilities of SQuaD:
- Linking stakeholders from research and industry
- Expanding existing partner testbeds and research facilities into publicly available quantum communication testbeds
- Laying the foundation for the emerging quantum communication ecosystem
- Connecting the latest research outputs with the industrial development of components, systems, and solutions for quantum communication
- Incorporating key aspects from metrology and cybersecurity into the project
- Monitoring global developments in quantum communication and sharing them in regular reports within the umbrella project
- Developing a roadmap for quantum communication technologies in Germany
- Promoting and coordinating standardization and certification activities with the involvement of key players such as the Deutsche Institut für Normung (DIN)
Supporting Technology Transfer
Supporting the strong role of Germany and Europe in the commercialization of quantum communication:
SQuaD is the central element of a broad-based research network being established within the Innovation Hub for Quantum Communication in Germany to place Germany and Europe at the forefront of the quantum communication market.
The project will lay the foundation for innovative and internationally competitive products in this key technology area and as such make an important contribution to ensure that Germany remains a world technology leader.
SQuaD supports Technology Transfer through:
- Workshops and joint ventures
- Patent and start-up consulting
- Consulting in the field of standardization and certification of quantum communication
- Training and further education offers
- Online information platform
- Monitoring and roadmapping